Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Well.

Life is such that, one has to face humanity eventually no matter how cold one is.. (note: today’s blog isn’t funny or entertaining; I hope it will be educational instead)

Yesterday while on the mrt homeward bound from school, a couple sat across me.

This couple was different from all the others in the cabin. People stared and looked away quickly, as if they didn’t want to see such a sight.

An old lady. Silently wiping tears from her face as her husband sat in his wheelchair facing away from her.

She had difficulty maneuvering his wheelchair as she was pretty weak herself. After clicking on the brakes, she sat down.

She looked at me apprehensively, as if she had something to say, but then quickly turned away.

She wiped away her remaining tears and put a smile on her face as she talked to her husband, asking him if he was comfortable in his wheelchair.

She sat down again after making sure that her husband was comfortable.

Lost in her thoughts, she started crying again. And perhaps realizing that people in the cabin were staring at her, she desperately tried to hide her tears but the more she wiped, the more they fell.

And all this while I was sitting across from her, wondering if there was anything I could do to comfort a total stranger.

I wish now that I had went over to comfort her, to talk to her or something.

As I prepared to get off at my station, she wiped away the last of her tears, put on a radiant smile and asked me if we were at amk. I stopped and told her that it was three stops away, and hurried off the train as the doors were closing.

As the doors clamped shut, I immediately wished that I hadn’t got off. I cursed myself for not staying and accompanying her and her husband to amk, or possibly even to their destination.

I shocked myself by crying.

There must’ve been something that she or her husband was going through for her to weep uncontrollably in public.

I could actually feel her pain inside.

Deep inside.

As most of you know me, I am a cold-blooded monster when it comes to humanity. I don’t like kids. I don’t find the lives of others interesting, nor do I even care. I shy away from humanity, I try to hide, to prevent it from getting into me, but still..

Humanity gets to you. Eventually.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: