Tuesday, October 03, 2006

First things first


This is for all three of you who nodded against me in the typical Singaporean way when all you know is typical Singaporean slang.

For you, having a rope attached to your waist and being lowered from somewhere is pronounced as repelling (pronounced as re-pel). For the rest of the world, however,

rap*pel [ra-pel, ruh-] verb, -pelled, -pel*ling. -noun
1.
(in mountaineering) the act or method of moving down a steep incline or past an overhang by means of a double rope secured above and placed around the body, usually under the left thigh and over the right shoulder, and paid out gradually in the descent. -verb (used without object)
2.
to descend by means of a rappel.

I hate it when people don't believe what I say. Even more so when the other person from across the table agrees with the first, and yet another person whom I don't know well nods in agreement.

Don't believe whatever I say then. Continue wallowing in your own ignorance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Muahahahahaha...

Repel what? Mosquitoes I know.

Good one!