Friday, November 17, 2006

Death


Today, we talk about death.

Listen. You go to sleep every night knowing that you're going to wake up the next morning feeling the sunshine on your face, hearing the birds sing and the noisy hustle and bustle of children going to school, aunties going to the market and so on and so forth.

What if, just what if, you won't wake up anymore?

Think about it.

Unsaid things. Confessions "I love you, I always have." Love "I sorry I never showed you everyday how much you mean to me." Guilt "Please forgive me." Regrets "I wish I had more time to finish my unfinished business" Secrets "I hid my money at so-and-so place, please go get it." and even Hatred "*words too vulgar and too obvious to be published*".

Every night I ask myself, that if I died tonight, would I carry all my regrets and unfinished words with me? Would so-and-so know that I once loved him? Would my family know that I've always placed them above all in my heart? What if I had a quarrel with Lazychoo and it never got resolved and I just died like that?

And every morning I wake up, thankful that I'm alive. Every night is an end, and every day is a new day to, a new start towards the beginning of an end. Every day I try hard to be the best I can be, to slow down and smell the flowers, to take in and appreciate all around me.

People, when something happens, like in a relationship, when a couple quarrels and ignores each other for a few days, either one or both of them will go What if I went crazy and got myself a China bride? What if I went crazy and married the first man that asks? What if something happens to me and I died without having resolved the problem?

Let me tell you this. Bad things can happen during the peaceful times of the relationship too. So don't take it for granted and think that small problems will solve itself in time, because the sooner problems get solved, the better.

What if I died today?

Would I have known that you loved me? Would I regret not knowing? Would I regret not telling you the truth and letting you simmer in hatred? Would I regret being so stubborn? Would I bring unresolved problems into the grave, letting it explode in my chest as they push me into the burning pit of fiery flames to cremate me?

Think about it.

No comments: