Monday, July 28, 2008

Better Still, or Better Yet?


This is for you Jee.

http://www.englishforums.com/English/BetterStillBetterYet/dvppp/post.htm

"... "Better still" and "Better yet" are both used idiomatically to mean "Even better than what was just discussed." There will be a lot of chocolate at my birthday party, and better yet, a sundae bar." - Grammer Geek

Yes! I win (yet) again. Wheeeeeee~ You don't always win. Bleah.

This is just in case you didn't catch my MSN message proclaiming that I WIN.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah piang u actually went to check this up???

ok u win... but i must have the LAST word:

My rationale for not preferring "better yet":

1) I prefer to use it to ask a friend if he/she has recovered from a bout of illness: "Oi, are you BETTER YET? "

2) It can be confusingly misused: "Brazil Olympic team is BETTER, YET they juz beat Singapore by 3 goals only."

3) Another eg: "Jazzyme claims her engrish is BETTER, YET she needs to go check an engrish forum."

4) lastly, one last eg: "So in the end, Jee's engrish is better still!"


Heh.

jazzyme said...

Jee = Evil.

Engrish major bully no engrish cert girl.

I is spank you then you know ah.

Jee says I win!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!

Laforge Graves said...

lol.. now my engrish has improved better from reading this.

jazzyme said...

Laforge - Great to be of help. Muahahahaha~ Chip in your view leh.

Jee - Points 1-3 are not placed in context! Not fair!