Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A nose for thought


Walking along the pathway alone, a familiar smell wafted past.

My senses tingled. What was that smell? I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

It wasn't quite distinguishable, but its familiarity told me that this is something that I should know. It emenated youthfulness, as if it came straight out of my childhood.

They say that a nose never forgets. You may forget the features of a thing or a person. You may forget who it is. But you never forget the scents. Especially when they once brought you comfort and warmth, no matter what it was.

Within a split second, it was gone. Leaving behind no evidence of its trail, leaving me to grasp with invisible hands at its vanishing tail. Grasping at a chance to relive and relish it again, grasping at my rapidly vanishing youth.

I never did remember where it came from. But I'll never forget the comfort, the warmth, and the promise that everything's going to be ok.

Now all that's left to do is to muster up a smile, and tell myself.

Everything's going to be ok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice!

I was reading the entry just before leaving for work.

Prior to arriving @ the office, i made a detour to East Coast for a walk in the park - it simply happened.

The morning breeze was refreshing, the smell so familiar and flashbacks kept running in my head. It was amazing and it's only then, I realize I have been a jerk / lousy boss to some of the best people in my life.

It's amazing @ how inspiring your writings can be at times, please keep them coming, Jazzy.

You are an angel on bike!

Love will be with you :)

? said...

Yes. Humans remember senses of smell more than any other senses we have. This is a scientific facts btw..

And strange enough...I read somewhere that ppl gets turn on more by smell instead of sight.

Hmm...smell fishy. Hee hee